01522 533388

Construction company fined £15,000 after worker passes out from carbon monoxide poisoning

The employee fell unconscious while working on the construction of a new processing room in the packaging area of the company’s factory.

15 August 2019

A construction firm has been fined £15,000 after a worker suffered carbon monoxide poisoning on its premises in January 2018.

The employee fell unconscious while working on the construction of a new processing room in the packaging area of the company’s factory. After being rushed to hospital the worker was diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning, and sustained injuries to his head, elbows and knees.

In a hearing, Sheffield Magistrates Court were told that at the time of the incident, the worker was using a petrol-powered floor saw to cut a drain into the factory floor. However, as the open side had been blocked with a tarpaulin the worker was using the tool in a confined space, leading to insufficient ventilation.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) discovered that the firm had not adequately planned the work in the confined space of the processing room. They pleaded guilty to breaching the Health and Safety at Work Act Regulation 2 (1), and along with the fine were ordered to pay an additional £1,805 in costs.

Preventable accidents such as this demonstrate the importance of utilising safe working practices and correct control measures, as well as appropriately planning a safe system of work for any tasks being carried out.

If you have any concerns about the risks associated with carbon monoxide poisoning, get in touch with our lovely team to see how we can support your business.

Back to the Blog

Book an Appointment

If you would like to arrange an appointment to discuss your health and safety needs generally, or you would like guidance on a specific issue, fill in your details below and we will get in touch